Framework Agreement on the Foundation of the NFZ.forestnet Network
Between Institut national de la recherche agronomique (INRA) whose registered office is at 147, Rue de l’Université, 75338 Paris Cedex 07, France, represented by Mrs. Marion Guillou, acting as Executive President And Université Henri Poincaré Nancy 1 (UHP)1 whose registered office is at 24-30, Rue Lionnois BP.60120, 54003 Nancy Cedex, France, represented by Prof. Jean-Pierre Finance, acting as President And Institut national polytechnique de Lorraine (INPL)1 whose registered office is at 2, Avenue de la Forêt de Haye 54501 Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy, France, represented by Prof. Louis Schuffenecker, acting as President And Ecole nationale du génie rural, des eaux et forêts (ENGREF)2 whose registered office is at 19, Avenue du Maine 75732 Paris Cedex 15, France, represented by Mr. Cyrille van Effenterre, acting as Director And Forstliche Versuchs- Und Forschungsanstalt Baden-Württemberg (FVA) whose registered office is at Wonnhaldestr. 4, 79100 Freiburg-im-Brisgau, Germany, represented by Prof. Konstantin Freiherr von Teuffel, acting as Director And Albert Ludwigs Universität Freiburg (ALU) whose registered office is at Fahnenberg Platz 79085 Freiburg-im-Brisgau, Germany, represented by Prof. Wolfgang Jäger, acting as President (Rektor) And Eidgenössische Technsche Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich) whose registered office is at 101 Rämistrasse 8092 Zürich, Switzerland, represented by Prof. Olaf Kübler, acting as President And Wald Schnee Und Landschaft Forschunginstitut (WSL) whose registered office is at 111 Zürcherstrasse 8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland, represented by Dr.Jakob Roost, acting as Director.
Hereafter referred to as “the Parties” or “the Partners”
The partners are research organizations and universities actively engaged in forest and landscape research located in the heart of Western Europe, where forests and associated ecosystems form an important component of the landscape in lowlands and mountains. The partners face common challenges: changes in management practices, increase of the forest areas and the growing stocks, climate change and other global changes, and the related need to understand, assess and record these ongoing changes and their impacts, to predict future evolution scenarios, to design new sustainable management options, and to assess the associated risks.
The partners share these common areas of interest and develop complementary skills in higher education and research related to forests and landscapes, ecology and management. This includes existing and emerging fields of research with special emphasis on interdisciplinary studies.
The parties are already engaged in close co-operation. With regard to the challenges to be faced at a European level, and the need to co-ordinate and intensify education and research efforts in these areas, the parties agree to create the “NFZ.Forestnet” (Nancy-Freiburg-Zürich Forest network); with the aim of increasing scientific excellence and visibility and to attract scientists and especially young researchers from all over Europe, thus contributing to the creation and structure of the European Research Area.
Article 1 : Object
The parties agree hereby to create the “NFZ.Forestnet” (Nancy-Freiburg-Zürich Forest network) in the field of forests and landscapes, research and higher education in order to achieve the objectives and actions described here under.
Article 2: Objectives
The main objectives of the “NFZ.Forestnet” shall be: joint scientific and education efforts and coordination of research and teaching activities, research through an active networking, encouraging and supporting scientific exchanges and research collaborations between the members of the network and other institutions in the EU and beyond, in order to gain more scientific excellence and to improve the visibility of the “NFZ.Forestnet”.
Article 3: Actions
The parties agree to co-operate in order to undertake or to develop inter-alia the following actions:
- Training at Master and Doctoral level
- Summer Universities or Schools
- Staff and student exchange
- Common courses
- Joint research projects
- Joint proposals for the instruments foreseen in the framework research programs of the EU or other programs of the EU (eg. Interreg)
- Promotion of coordinated international research and teaching cooperation beyond the network.
Particular contracts may be concluded when necessary to fulfil these objectives. When necessary one of the members of this network will be mandated to represent other members.
Article 4: Board
(1) The Parties shall establish a Board composed of one duly authorised representative of each of them. After having informed the others in writing, each Party shall have the right to replace its representative and/or to appoint a proxy although it shall use all reasonable endeavours to maintain the continuity of its representation.
(2) The Board appoints among its members a Chairman who chairs the network for one year. Chairmanship should rotate among the parties. The Board shall meet at least once a year at the request of its Chairman or at any other time when necessary at the request of one of the Parties. Meetings shall be convened by the Chairman with at least thirty calendar days prior notice with an agenda. Additional persons can be invited to participate in the meetings of the Board on condition that the Parties agree. Minutes of the meetings of the Board shall be transmitted to the representatives of the parties without delay. The minutes shall be considered as accepted by the Parties if, within fifteen calendar days from receipt, no party has objected in a traceable form to the Chairman.
(3) The Board is the decision making body of the “NFZ.Forestnet”. The Board shall be in charge of the adoption of an annual action plan and of the overall direction of the network.
Decisions of the Board are especially required for:
- the adoption of a new member,
- the appointment of the Chairman,
- the adoption of actions described in article 3,
- all other decisions related to the network as a whole.
(4) All decisions of the Board have to be taken consensually. When a vote is required, decisions shall be taken with a two third majority, each Party having one vote. Decisions can also be taken in accordance with the above in meetings via teleconference or via email on condition that all Parties agree. Votes have to be taken in writing.
(5) The Board presents an annual Report of Activity.
Article 5: Chairman
The Chairman is the official representative of the network. He/she speaks for the Parties and represents the network in all events and actions where a presence or statement of the network is requested. He/she stays in close contact with the Parties to ensure that he represents their interests.
The Chairman takes the responsibility of the overall Secretariat of the network; in particular he/she:
- invites to the Board meetings
- coordinates the preparation of the annual action plan
- organizes the preparation of the annual report
- coordinates the actions of the network
Article 6: Communications and Confidentiality
Any communication or publication, whether written or oral, resulting from the activities undertaken within the “NFZ.Forestnet”, will acknowledge the “NFZ.Forestnet” and the names of the Parties. For written communication, the logos of the Parties will also be mentioned.
Any information disclosed or transmitted by one party to the other from the date of this agreement, be it in writing, orally, in the form of drawings, photographs or samples and which is stated by the disclosing Party to be confidential and proprietary information of this Party, shall be treated as confidential for a period of five years from the date of such disclosure.
However, information is not considered as confidential information if:
a) as of the date of disclosure it was in the public domain, or
b) after the date of this agreement it enters the public domain through no fault of the recipient, or
c) it can be shown by competent proof to have been in the possession of the recipient as of the date of disclosure, or
d) it is disclosed to the recipient subsequently to the date of this agreement by a third party having a legal right to make such disclosure.
Article 7: Admission of New Members
The “NFZ.Forestnet” is open to new members. New members are entering the network following a unanimous decision of the Board of Direction, by an appropriate amendment to the present agreement
Article 8: Duration and Termination
This Framework Agreement has a duration of four (4) years after signature of all Parties, except the confidentiality clause which shall remain in full force for all information disclosed within the “NFZ.Forestnet”.
Before the end of this period the Board organizes an evaluation of the network. Based on this evaluation the Board takes a decision on the prolongation of the network for another four years. Each partner can terminate their membership to the network after giving six months notice.
Article 9: Dispute
The Parties shall endeavour to settle amicably all disputes arising in connection with this Agreement.
Signed Place Stanislas in Nancy, in 8 copies
Date: 26 - 01 - 2006
Mrs. Marion Guillou
Institut national de la recherche agronomique (INRA)
Prof. Jean-Pierre Finance
Université Henri Poincaré Nancy 1 (UHP)1
Prof. Louis Schuffenecker
Institut national polytechnique de Lorraine (INPL)1
Mr. Cyrille van Effenterre
Ecole nationale du génie rural, des eaux et forêts (ENGREF)2
Prof. Konstantin Freiherr von Teuffel
Forstliche Versuchs- Und Forschungsanstalt Baden-Württemberg (FVA)
Prof. Wolfgang Jäger
Albert Ludwigs Universität Freiburg (ALU)
Prof. Olaf Kübler
Eidgenössische Technsche Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich)
Wald Schnee Und Landschaft Forschunginstitut (WSL)
1 Université Henri Poincaré Nancy 1 and Institut national polytechnique de Lorraine merged on 1 January 2012 into the new University of Lorraine.
2 Ecole nationale du génie rural, des eaux et forêts is now part of AgroParisTech.